Many Walla Walla and Tri-Cities drivers know that a tire rotation is an important part of vehicle maintenance that helps to maintain traction, prevent blowouts, and even improve fuel economy no matter if you’re behind the wheel of a new or pre-owned model. But if you’re new to car maintenance you might have some questions. What is tire rotation? What does rotating tires mean? What does tire rotation do? Get the answers to all of these and more from the experts at the Walla Walla Valley Honda service center.
What Does Rotating Tires Mean?
So, what is tire rotation? During this essential service, tires are moved from one position on a vehicle to another. In most cases, the front tires will move to the rear and the rear tires will move to the front. They might also change sides, so what was the rear left tire will end up as the front right tire. There are also some additional points to consider when rotating your tires which include:
- The majority of vehicles carry more weight in the front, causing the front tires to wear out faster, but your vehicle’s drivetrain will also affect the wear rate for each tire.
- An example of this is with front-wheel drive cars, power is sent to the front axle and wheels to produce forward motion. This means the front tires will wear faster than they would in rear-wheel, all-wheel, or four-wheel drive models.
- This also means that your car’s drivetrain will impact the tire rotation pattern, in order to help ensure one or two tires don’t wear down faster than the others.
What Does Tire Rotation Do?
Having your tires rotated every several thousand miles will not only ensure your tires wear down evenly whether you have FWD, AWD, or RWD but also offer plenty of other benefits that will keep your vehicle running strong and protect you behind the wheel. These include:
- Maintain Traction: Tires lose tread depth as they wear down. A loss of tread depth leads to reduced tractions, which can interfere with your ability to control the vehicle in challenging road conditions. Preventing uneven tire wear helps ensure that all tires have the same amount of tread.
- Prevents Blowouts: As tires get more worn down, they are more likely to fail. If you’ve ever had one blow out as you drive, you’ll know how unpleasant and potentially dangerous it can be.
- Improve Performance: When tires that have uneven wear are working together it can create a vibration that can eventually be felt through the steering wheel.
- Maximize Efficiency: Worn tires create drag, placing a strain on the engine and increasing your fuel consumption.
Find Exceptional Honda Service at Walla Walla Valley Honda
Now that you know what is tire rotation, you can count on the tire center at Walla Walla Valley Honda which has certified technicians who can assess the condition of your tires and determine if it is time for a tire rotation. Schedule your appointment today or contact us with your additional service questions, such as how to remove mold from your car, how to remove stickers from cars, or how to check your coolant level. Don’t miss our rotating service specials so you can get a great deal on your vehicle maintenance.
More From Walla Walla Valley Honda
The Honda Accord is certainly no stranger to the Walla Walla and Tri-Cities roads, and while its fuel-efficient performance and stylish good looks are well-known, have you gotten inside the 2020 Honda Accord interior? Between the spacious dimensions and cutting-edge features, you’ll be blown away by the luxury of this budget-friendly vehicle. Take a look at…
If you want to upgrade your Walla Walla commute with one of the most popular SUVs on the market, then it’s time to take a look at the 2020 Honda Pilot configurations. This SUV has gained fans from Tri-Cities to Kennewick for its incredible performance and premium amenities, and with six different trim levels to explore,…
Walla Walla Valley Honda customers love the 2020 Honda Pilot design. It’s no wonder, considering all of the cool Honda Pilot interior features that are available. With its stylish good looks, who wouldn’t want to be seen rolling around Kennewick in this beautiful SUV? You can see it for yourself at our dealership in College Place. Our knowledgeable staff…