Many Walla Walla and Tri-Cities drivers know that a tire rotation is an important part of vehicle maintenance that helps to maintain traction, prevent blowouts, and even improve fuel economy no matter if you’re behind the wheel of a new or pre-owned model. But if you’re new to car maintenance you might have some questions. What is tire rotation? What does rotating tires mean? What does tire rotation do? Get the answers to all of these and more from the experts at the Walla Walla Valley Honda service center.
What Does Rotating Tires Mean?
So, what is tire rotation? During this essential service, tires are moved from one position on a vehicle to another. In most cases, the front tires will move to the rear and the rear tires will move to the front. They might also change sides, so what was the rear left tire will end up as the front right tire. There are also some additional points to consider when rotating your tires which include:
- The majority of vehicles carry more weight in the front, causing the front tires to wear out faster, but your vehicle’s drivetrain will also affect the wear rate for each tire.
- An example of this is with front-wheel drive cars, power is sent to the front axle and wheels to produce forward motion. This means the front tires will wear faster than they would in rear-wheel, all-wheel, or four-wheel drive models.
- This also means that your car’s drivetrain will impact the tire rotation pattern, in order to help ensure one or two tires don’t wear down faster than the others.
What Does Tire Rotation Do?
Having your tires rotated every several thousand miles will not only ensure your tires wear down evenly whether you have FWD, AWD, or RWD but also offer plenty of other benefits that will keep your vehicle running strong and protect you behind the wheel. These include:
- Maintain Traction: Tires lose tread depth as they wear down. A loss of tread depth leads to reduced tractions, which can interfere with your ability to control the vehicle in challenging road conditions. Preventing uneven tire wear helps ensure that all tires have the same amount of tread.
- Prevents Blowouts: As tires get more worn down, they are more likely to fail. If you’ve ever had one blow out as you drive, you’ll know how unpleasant and potentially dangerous it can be.
- Improve Performance: When tires that have uneven wear are working together it can create a vibration that can eventually be felt through the steering wheel.
- Maximize Efficiency: Worn tires create drag, placing a strain on the engine and increasing your fuel consumption.
Find Exceptional Honda Service at Walla Walla Valley Honda
Now that you know what is tire rotation, you can count on the tire center at Walla Walla Valley Honda which has certified technicians who can assess the condition of your tires and determine if it is time for a tire rotation. Schedule your appointment today or contact us with your additional service questions, such as how to remove mold from your car, how to remove stickers from cars, or how to check your coolant level. Don’t miss our rotating service specials so you can get a great deal on your vehicle maintenance.
More From Walla Walla Valley Honda
College Place drivers searching for a reliable new crossover with a space for a few more passengers will love the 2020 Honda Pilot. The Honda Pilot interior is spacious, comfortable, and loaded with great features to keep you safe and connected on those drives to Walla Walla. Take a closer look at the Honda Pilot design at Walla Walla Valley Honda today and…
Drivers with large families or who like to carpool around Walla Walla want a spacious and fully-loaded crossover that can deliver a dependable performance are sure to find everything they need and more with the 2020 Honda Pilot MPG ratings. With a range of performance specs to choose from along with standard driver-assist features, you’ll have…
If you’re in the market for a reliable SUV that also comes fully loaded with plenty of amenities, technology, and safety to satisfy you and your passengers on Walla Walla roads, then you’ll find a model that checks all the boxes among the 2020 Honda CR-V configurations. No matter if you’re in need of a more…